Teh Tarik Diraja (frosty Royal Milk Tea)

Again I was experimenting in the kitchen, trying to make a quality Malaysian favourite drink, Teh Tarik (frosty milk tea). Usually the mamaks (Malaysian coffee house) would charge you 80 cents to more than a dollar for an instant tooth decaying, ultra sweet, teh tarik with a little taste of tea.

I was at Italian Tomato in Namba , Osaka last Tuesday after searching for the right notebook (my current one is dying soon) and I ordered Royal Milk Tea. I'm not sure what's with the word "Royal" but what I realised the barista preared the tea in a different method - infusing tea in steamed milk. Usually you would infuse it in boiling water, but this is different. Taste ? Creeeaaamyyyy.... yet unsweetened.

So I boiled a cup full of full cream milk and then infused Twinnings English Breakfast Tea for 2-3 minutes. Then, I tarik-ed (pour from one cup to another cup at a height of more than elbow length). It is just as frosty as the ones you find at mamaks but with a hint of quality and rich in tea.Price ? I've yet to calculate but I think it'd be around more than RM 3.00 for the milk used and the tea. But rest assured, it is what you called a Teh Tarik Diraja @ Royal frosted Milk Tea.

ingredient

1 tablespoon full of tea leaves or 2-3 bags of tea / person
1 mug of full cream milk (low fat milk also OK)
sugar to suit own tastebud

instruction

1) Boil the full cream milk in a stove friendly mug or pot till bubbles comes out and lower the flames to the minimum. Cover the pot / mug to avoid a layer of milk solid formed.
2) Put in a tablespoon full of tea leaves (of your own choice, but I recommend a Dimbula or Uva) or 3 bags of tea into the pot/mug and cover the pot. Allow the tea to infuse for 2-3 minutes.
3) Filter the tea leaves if you're not using tea bag.
4) Add sugar to taste.
5) Prepare another mug and pour the tea from a height of an elbow length. Repeat this step till you get a frosty milk tea.

Comments

Popular Posts