Re-living the glorious past of the Spitfire - Mazda MX-5 Roadster

I remembered flipping through my parents’ album and looking at my father’s Triumph Spitfire Mk I, I wished I could be like him: Having a convertible sports car which isn’t too expensive to own and to maintain yet it is fun to drive.

Photobucket

Unfortunately Triumph is a yesteryear’s company and it stopped making cars (for the time being). MG cars are a little expensive and it has a mid engine. Based on my diggings on the net is that the Mazda MX-5 Roadster fits the description – simple, agile, fun to drive, and cheap.

So I decided to rent it for two days and see how interesting this car could be.

I travelled through the city streets of Osaka, and the car was like an ordinary car. It didn’t have the grunt like the 350Z and it drives easily around town. However the pots and bumps may be a little harsh on the driver and passenger as it is tuned for sporty handling. Its acceleration seemed to be quick and I think it is just enough as there isn’t a need for a quarter-mile drag race. This car isn’t meant to be raced like its uncle, the RX-7.

The roof was up all the way to Kobe as the blistering hot sun would roast my skin. The fabric top was rather robust but it could be worrying as there are people with knives would love to cut it open. The insulation isn’t perfect but it does the job.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I drove to Tokushima via Awaji Island but I made a mistake. I forgot to open the top when I’m about to drive through the Akashi Bridge – the longest suspension bridge in the world. I zoomed across the bridge and the trip to the other side of the island was breathtaking. Then I decided to stop at the R&R area in Awaji and took a few picture of the bridge and the blue skies of Hanshin.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This time with the open top

I decided to fold the roof and drove all the way to Tokushima. This time it was a total different experience. I’ve been on a Chevrolet Caprice zooming down the highway of Hijaz at 180kph with the windows down but this time it was in a car that reminded me of the glorious times of MG and Triumph with the open top.

The summer heat went away and I felt the nature’s breeze. It gets better when I've passed through the cloudy areas but it has gotten a little worrying when I passed through the darker clouds. In the middle of the highway with the open top, a few drops of rainwater made me ran into panic, “Oh God! I’m going to get wet!”.As I couldn’t find a nearby rest area. I decided to stop at the emergency lane and quickly fold up the roof before I start to get myself drenched in rainwater. It was an embarrassing moment.

Photobucket


Then I’ve reached my friend’s place in Tokushima in one piece and spent a night there.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


On Friday, I decided to drive back to Kobe to catch the Friday prayers. As the weather seemed to be in perfect condition, I’ve decided to open up the roof again and drove all the way to Kobe. As we know sports cars are not practical and the MX-5 is no exception. The trunk is about 160 litres and it is pretty small to say. A cabin bag and a haversack have filled up the trunk, leaving a little space for small bags. So it seemed this car is made for a night or two and that’s it. If there is a plan for a week long journey or to the airport, I suggest taking a train or a bus. Either that or carry your clothes in a plastic bag or turn the boot into a wardrobe for your long journey.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Entering a tunnel. I had to remove my sunglasses...
Photobucket

Then I reached Kobe and I dropped my friend at Kobe station, went for Friday prayers and then zoomed up and down the Rokko Mountain with an Aussie friend of mine. This was where the car showed its true colours – the twisty mountain roads. With the top open, I've just maintained at 50kph as I wasn't familiar with the curves and bends. What not it was a narrow two lane road which can be dangerous with buses and cars zooming down the mountain. It handled like a roller coaster where its wheels are just clinging on the road. The steering is precise and direct. The power is sufficient to carry two people up the mountain and I think there isn’t a need for a drifting session.

Photobucket

The automatic gearbox change was crisp but of course a true enthusiast would want a manual. I’m sorry I could only rent an automatic. But it’s just as fun as the manual. I wish they could come up with a Dual Clutch version of the MX-5 to replace the mechanical clutch. With that, I'm certain the MX-5 would still dominate the affordabe convertible sports car

Then at night I decided to drive along the bayside highway back home with the top down. The experience was just fantastic. Especially when playing Ace Combat 5 soundtrack, and behold! It feels like you’re in a war movie or a game. The car’s audio system is superb for a convertible. The head unit was great but unfortunately it had some skipping error with my CDs.

Verdict :

This car gives you a thousand smiles, not by its looks but when you get your hands on it. No wonder it is still the best sports car in Britain. Forget about Aston Martin, TVR, or Lotus as they are way too expensive for an ordinary chap like us. Hence with a big engine, where do you want to go? The 350Z was a wonderful car but I think there isn’t a need for a 3.5 litre engine to attack the bends and hairpins. If it is for the tracks and the red carpets, yes I totally agree. But if you want a car that does the job, the Mazda Roadster is there to live up to your expectations.

Photobucket

Side by side with a Porsche 911 Carrera. The MX-5 is like the F-5E , a lightweight fighter with minimal loads on its arsenal and gadgetry but does its job well while the Porsche 911 is like an F22, fully loaded with arsenal and technology which also comes with a heavy price tag.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

View from Rokko Mountain day and night

Photobucket

Photobucket

A good song to compliment a good car

THE LIBERATION OF GRACEMERIA - Keiki Kobayashi

Comments

Eu Jin said…
Bro, great review of the car and excellent pics. I envy you to be able to drive along such beautiful scenary and backdrops.

If only there's such roads (and weather!) in Malaysia.

I'm still dreaming of driving along the Great Ocean Road of Australia in a convertable. :(
Eugene said…
Yo Bro, Eugene wong (a.k.a [RAGE]T3) Long time dint hear from you.

Nice blog on your car man.

Hope you had a great time in japan.

Take care.

Popular Posts