Note taken for a drive

Nissan Note review

A month had passed since I got my Japanese driving license and I thought I'd might need a car to go around and pick up some stuff. Then on Saturday the 5th, Malaysian Students Association of Japan, Kansai held a Hanami (which means Cherry Blossoms viewing) welcoming picnic @ party at the International Expo 70 up north of Osaka.

I wanted to prepare Chicken Curry for the Malaysian students but I can't be carrying them into the train as the aroma will start cause a "bombscare" like situation which I wouldn't like to attract unwanted attention. My classmate back in university told me that there is a student special discount for Nissan Car Rental which I have to pay 12 hours rent for a 2 days rental - that sounds tempting for me renting a 350Z or a Skyline Coupe in the future.

Cutting the fantasy in the mind with a tight wallet, initially I decided to rent a Cube - which people would start lambasting me for renting a car that is literally like a cube with four wheels.

Photobucket

As we know that Malaysians don't really fancy a car without a decent look. Like Italians in a way which they wouldn't want a car without a soul-less look. However the Cube has a beauty of its own because despite its cubical looks, it is well sculpted and designed that it looks like a car from a science fiction book. At first sight, people would think "what a nonsensical car!" but it looks better and better as time goes by - eventually one might buy.

Unfortunately, it didn't happen because the Cube is taken out for a spin by someone else, so I decided to rent a Nissan Note. What I was told that its underpinnings from a Renult Modus where Renault is Nissan's parent company. Does that mean I will get a European ride quality ?

Photobucket

Well speaking of the design, it doesn't really look like a typical Japanese car which you'd get a conservative taste but instead it has a lot of European flavour. Maybe I might need to try out their sedans then I could tell whether are they conservative or progressive. One of its main attraction point is the boomerang like tail lights which gives the car a distinct character. Then the body curves that cuts down the boxy character of the car. Another nice point is the door handle which is useful for ladies from getting their finger nails broken whenever they have to open a door.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then on the interior, it is meant for utility. You'd get a deep glove compartment which you can put a tissue box inside. A flexible cupholder in between the driver's and front passenger seat which you can store up to 4 cups / bottles. Then another compartment above the Navigation System for your CDs. Then in the boot , you might think that it is insufficient to put your bags inside but behold ! There are two levels of baggage compartment which you can store valuables at the bottom compartment (which of course I don't recommend and I won't hold responsibility over any thefts). Sorry I didn't have the pictures for that but you can just check it out at Nissan Japan Website (Sorry again.... only Japanese) or Nissan UK.

Photobucket


Well if you want luxury in it, then this car isn't for you. It is built for a purpose (utility) and solely for that. However, the fit and finishing for this car is just perfect. Every seams are tight and you won't find rattles or squeaks when you hit a rough road. The plastics weren't hard but not as plushy as what we can find in cars with a bigger price tag.

Reach for controls is not too difficult as it is well shaped and sized. However what dissapointed me was the lack of foldable side mirrors. Maybe the model I rented was a baseline model ? Anyway, it didn't really bother me much though. The side air-cond vents , like in Nissan Qashqai / Dualis were my favourite. I could just turn it to any angle of my liking and its even better than what you have in a more expensive car. Maybe my hands are itchy perhaps.

Now we'd get to the drive of it...

Hanami ended on that Saturday and I decided to take the car out for a spin at the Japanese mountain road @ touge. Of course I won't be playing Takumi Fujiwara or the legendary drifter - Keiichi Tsuchiya, but a brief test on the car's handling and powerplant. The road was in Minoo which is famous for its Autumn Leaves and this is my first time driving there.

The car's 1.4 Litre engine pulls well up the hill, but I wonder whether it would be underpowered if there are 4 people in it? Thanks to its Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT), the revs were smooth and no drops when any change in gear. Wait a minute, did I say gear ? Well there is not even a single cog to move forward. but maybe for the reverse, I'm not too sure about that.

The steering was light but at least it turns where you wanted to turn. However, like in all new Nissan cars, there is a motor like noise you'd get from the steering when you spin it quickly. Something like what you get from a Logitech steering wheel I guess.

The suspension was firm yet it absorbs the inconsistencies on the road very well. It is not like a typical Japanese softness nor it is too harsh like a car without a shock absorber. It does feel a little bit like a budget European Car.

On the downside you don't really have much controls on the gears, especially when downshifting, so you might have to use more of your brakes than an engine braking. Another thing is that it doesn't have an automatic door lock, so it could be risky if you're driving out at night. Then the seats don't really have a lumbar support, so it could be uncomfortable on long journey.

In a nutshell, the car is practical, spacious for 4 and has a relatively good engine and handling for a town drive. But for long distance journey, well I think its better to have a car for that.

Comments

Popular Posts